Mother’s Day is just two days away and you may need a gift for the little ones to show mom or grandma they care.
WPRI.com reporter and local mom blogger Courtney Caligiuri joined The Rhode Show with two fun DIY ideas.
- 3 1/2″ or 4″ unfinished wooden cube (I bought this one from Michael’s)
- Mod Podge
- Acrylic paint in your color of choice (I picked a Vanilla shade, found at Michael’s)
- Foam brush for painting
- 6 photos trimmed to fit the block (You can decide how much of a border you want)
- Paint your unfinished wood cube using the foam brush. Let all sides dry completely before gluing on photos.
- Wash the paint off the foam brush and then use the brush to apply Mod Podge to the back of the photos. Place one photo on each side of the cube.
- Let photos and Mod Podge dry completely before final step.
- Paint a layer of Mod Podge over the picture and each side of the cube. It’s going to look weird at first putting glue over the picture, but it helps seal the photo and give it a nice shine.
DIY Growth Chart Ruler
- 6’x10″x1″ piece of high-quality pine
- Stain or paint for the wood in the color of your choice
- Vinyl growth chart ruler decals (can easily be found online)
- Polyurethane to seal the decals to the wood
- Paint or stain your wood board
- After letting the paint/stain dry, apply vinyl growth chart ruler decals according to their directions. The kit found online is super easy to apply.
- Seal the decals to the wood with polyurethane to be sure they stay in place.
- Hang on your wall with a sturdy nail and start measuring your little ones!
Here are some of the other segments featured on The Rhode Show on May 6, 2016: